Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Empty Ovaries

I survived! I was scared, shitting myself in fact. I remembered the last retrieval & the injections into each ovary were not fun at all. So this morning arrived, my gorgeous friend D picked me up & off we went. A was working all night & would meet me there in full surgical gear.

They kept me waiting for ages. There'd been a D&C they had to do so the wait was horrible, anxiety provoking. A arrived, there we were A, D & I all dressed in blue surgical gear awaiting my dreaded procedure. I was in the full theatre this time as some other dr was using the room i knew (yes, believe it or not the other room had become familiar & comfortable to me already).

A & D were seated. I lay on a slanting table with legs up ofcourse in stirrups, you know the dignified female procedural posture. And a sedative, fentinel was visiting my veins - as much as I hate taking drugs, you know the codeine type or benzo type - i must admit this was pleasurable.....there was a time when i enjoyed the odd recreational party pill & this was the closest to it I've had in yrs.

Our lovely RE was down where he usually is inserting the speculum, washing me down etc & then it began... long, very long injections into my vagina - ouch! OUCH & more ouch! It stung.....Ive got a tough old vagina but it doesnt like injections & nor do my ovaries.

It was a strange pain, not too bad to be honest but unpleasant enough & i was still vocal - the whole experience hurts in a way. Our RE was lovely & pointed out that i'd missed an ouch opportunity.

The scientists were quietly perving at my eggs under the microscope & every now & then a very good looking egg appeared on the plasma screen...they looked good if i say so myself!

Then over to the other ovary & more stinging, more pain & more vocalising.

RE thought it amusing I was intending one day to have a natural birth with no drugs.....

It was over, they'd retrieved 14 eggs in total - double last time!!!!!! This was the amount I asked for & here they were.

I was wheeled into recovery by RE. We laughed & felt relief.

A was asked to visit andrology & I sat with D & a heat pack on my very sore uterus.

RE appeared to inform us we had 14. He was pleased with this result. We were all pleased. He did warn us that 4 of them looked quite immature but he was still pleased.

The scientists visited too to repeat this info. My eggs were in good hands now.

This arvo & evening there'll be busy fertilising with A's boys & in the morning I'll get a call to tell me how many fertilised.

I'm hoping 10 or more get it together.

Oh, one more thing - the scientists said the 10 mature ones didn't look good - they looked great!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home